Like this yo, like this:
I’m a wee bit slow on the bandwagon here (if there is one…), but here’s the new Wonder Girls song, “Like This”
I am by no means a pro at discussing things, but let’s give this a whirl!
From the first listen, I was getting a fun and upbeat mood, which I think is perfect because Finals week is coming up for me, thus marking the end of the school year and a perfect time to “walk on the wild side!” This song would be great at parties, get-togethers, those sorts of things.
I find this video to be quite different from the usual mood of most k-pop videos as it looks like it’s filmed in a public area, because most k-pop videos are filmed in a studio or in a secluded area, giving this video a casual and easy vibe.
I think that there’s a bit more of a hip-hop feel in this Wonder Girls song compared to their other songs, which is really refreshing. I mean, one can only do so much with retro without it becoming trite.
The choreography reflects the overall vibe of the song really well. There’s a bit of that hip-hop reflected there with the chorus, but not so much “I’m gonna shake my ass in yo’ face while I wear teeny tiny clothing” hip-hop. It’s more…..modest? These moves can be broken out at one’s homecoming and not end up being called shameless 24 hours later.
The leg wiggling movement is something very S/Mileage I think, they’re practically known for that movement. I’m sure the leg-wiggling movement was also in one of Orange Caramel‘s videos, if I remember correctly.
The movements look simple to replicate, but because they’re so repetitive, they’re really not. Anyone who’s done anything extremely repetitive can tell you that much.
Overall, I do find that this dance would be fun to do a cover of, especially with friends.
Since I cannot find any stills from the video nor do I know how to make them (someone teach me), this photo will have to do.
The style here is very on trend, as the Wonder Girls always are, and suits the mood of the choreography well because it looks easy to move in and comfortable.
Let’s break down the look by trend:
- grungy – most Wonder Girls fans would notice that the style here is a lot less refined than those of other videos, it’s still cute, just a lot more relaxed and loose. There is a bit of a DIY factor going here with the paint splattered shirt, AC/DC shirt and the fringe shirt dress.
- one point color – I noticed that in both the video and the image above, there isn’t so much a color explosion but more black/white with a focus of one (bright) color. With Sohee, far right, although there is that electric yellow going underneath her shirt dress, the main color focus is the coral on her jacket. With Lim, to the left of Sohee, the main focus is blue, which is expressed in her tights(?) and hair.
- Tights/Socks – although this one isn’t expressed by the majority of the group, I still think it’s important to talk about this one. Sohee and Lim are both rocking printed tights, and Yenny (? the one on the far left) does rock some kick-ass knee-highs in the MV.
- Flat Shoes – sneakers and those things that look like sandals but aren’t. They wore closed-toe shoes in the video, and if you are going to do a cover, I suggest you do the same, dancing in open-toed shoes can be difficult and lead to severe pain.
- minimal makeup – Looking at the photo above, one will notice that the makeup is very simple, with only contoured cheeks, cat-wing eyeliner, and a natural colored lipstick. Not nude, but natural colored.
Putting it all together:
Comment below with your thoughts, because it’s awful lonely over here ~